Have you ever wondered, is a banana a berry?
Recently, while reading an article referring to a banana as a berry I found myself perplexed. Almost immediately, my google browser was open and I began typing, Is a banana a berry?.
The ANSWER is a big fat YES, A banana is a berry!
Why is a banana a berry?
Fun facts about one of the most popular fruit in the American diet
A banana evolves from a flower with a single ovary and has a soft skin, fleshy middle and small seeds. Thus, meeting all botanical requirements of a berry and can be considered both a fruit and berry. The plant in which the banana grows from is actually considered an herb.
Feeling sluggish in the mornings? The banana contains amino acid, tryptophan and Vitamin B6 that helps the body produce serotonin. Therefor, bananas may be considered mood enhancers.
Now that we’ve uncovered why a banana is a berry enjoy these delicious recipes below
Start your day off with a Healthy Pina Colada SmoothiePrint
- 1 Banana (for a sweeter smoothie use slightly ripened)
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- ¾ cup frozen pineapple tidbits
- ½ cup coconut water (or water)
- ½ cup crushed ice cubes
- (Optional: 1 teaspoon chai seeds or ground flax seeds)
- ***Special note*** If using frozen bananas omit the ice and increase coconut water to ¾ cup
- Place all ingredients into the blender
- Mix until smooth consistency
- Special Note: This is a thicker smoothie, if you have trouble getting your smoothie to blend add 1 tablespoon at a time of extra water or coconut water
- Category: Breakfast