Homemade sunflower butter (AKA Sunbutter) is hands down better then store bought.
What makes this recipe the best homemade sunflower butter?
Transform everyday sunflower butter into creamy perfection by double roasting the seeds. Confession, this magical concoction happened by accident when I purchased pre roasted seeds verses the unroasted seeds to make a quick batch of sunbutter. This resulting in a more nuttier flavored butter and exceptional roasted flavor.
Recently I gave coconut sugar a try while on the Happy gut 28 day cleanse. On this challenge you’re allowed to eat green apples and homemade sunflower butter without oils or refined sugar. Thus the picture above became my all time favorite snack for the month. The coconut sugar was a perfect balance of sweet to the saltiness. Highly recommending giving coconut sugar a try.
How to make Sunflower Butter
So, what is double roasted sunflower seeds? Simply buy your typical pre-roasted seeds at the grocery store and give them an extra toast in the oven prior to blending.
My favorite tool to make the sunflower butter extra velvety is this powerful nutribullet. The nutribullet aids in a faster and smoother sunbutter, but you can also use a food processor as well.
Make this sunflower butter today, you wont regret it!Print
- 2.5 cups roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Spread sunflower seed evenly onto baking sheet
- Roast for 10-15 minutes watching closley at the end to make sure they do not burn, you want them a dark golden color
- Allow the seeds to cool for 10 minutes prior to blending
- Blend in nutribullet or food processor until creamy and smooth consistency (patients is key)
- Add the coconut sugar and salt blending lightly to mix
- Transfer to small glass container and once cooled store in refrigerator
- Category: lunch/snack