D.I.Y. Lego Table is a genius way to hide all those tiny pieces for when they are not being used (hardly ever in my house, but still).
One day I was sitting at my kitchen table thinking about how I wanted a small table for the kids play room. Usually, when you are looking for smaller type furniture you can find it at IKEA. So, I did what most people do and picked up my phone, visiting the Google search engine and typed in IKEA kids play tables. This adorable FLISAT Children’s table popped right up, it’s a newer item and is pictured with neutral colored stools as well. I did not get the wooden stools and instead purchased these colorful MAMMUT Children’s stools. Immediately, I fell in love with this adorable table and started pondering what I would use the storage compartments for. I began looking around my house, in my view I saw every table covered with tiny little LEGO DUPLO pieces, along with the floors covered in LEGO MEGA blocks and this got me thinking…
Why I love this Lego Table
Is this not the most perfect way to hide all those LEGO blocks hanging around your home. P.S. you can use the medium TROFAST storage bins and fit tons more LEGO pieces than pictured here. I choose the smaller TROFAST bins for now because one, my kids are younger and don’t need access to a gazillion pieces at any moments notice and two, I wanted to save space by storing the stools underneath the table. Now you might be thinking, what about when they out grow MEGA BLOCKS and DUPLOS, no problem because my genius idea was to use Command Medium Mounting Refill Strips to adhere the LEGO plates to the table tops (INSERT MY FEELING CRAFTY AND PROUD OF IT FACE HERE) 🙂
This DIY Lego Table grows with your child’s needs thanks to Command Mounting strips.
Command Medium Mounting Refill StripsOnly a few simple steps to adjust these base plates so that they can be stored and used for the LEGO Table. I used a box cutter and scored the corners, only removing two pegs from each board. You need to round the corners, cutting as close to the other three circle pegs and the base plate will fit perfectly inside the bins.
Click on pictures below for your DUPLO/MEGA Block Base Plates
Why this is The Best LEGO Table
You can show off The Best LEGO Table as a LEGO table or hide the base plates by flipping the tops over. Personalize your table by using large or small bins depending on how many LEGO’S wished to be stored. This table can be used for a multitude of functions other than LEGO’s. The best part you can start with MEGA blocks and work your way to Duplo’s. Then finally, convert this Lego table for traditional sized Lego’s.
My little ones pictured below are playing together, enjoying each others company and even better, NOT FIGHTING! The Whisking kiddos love their Lego table, but when they are done they also love cleaning up together. By hiding all the lego pieces and flipping the top they now have plenty of room to play kitchen. Next, my little ones begin placing out their toy plates and dishes. Maxwell loves to plate his food perfectly like his Mama and snap a few photos, it’s flipping adorable!
- FLISAT Children’s table from IKEA
- MAMMUT Children’s stools from IKEA
- 2 small or medium TROFAST storage bins from IKEA
- 2 15 x 10.5 LEGO DUPLO Base plates or classic LEGO base plates cut to size
- Very Sharp Box cutter
- Command Medium Mounting Refill Strips
- MEGA Blocks and/or DUPLO LEGO
- Assemble table and chairs
- Taking your box cutter score the edges of the base plates removing two pegs from each corner, make sure to round the edges a bit so that the base plate fits inside of the storage bins
- Once the base plates sit comfortably inside the top of the bins then take your Command mounting strips placing them around the edges and I also placed one in the center
- Next place the bin inside the table and the base plate command strip side up in the storage bin
- I placed the table top right on top of the table and carefully removed the bin and top together with out shifting the position
- Carefully! flip the base plate and table top together, the base plate should now adhere to the table top in the correct position
- Separate the bin and table top and press the base plate firmly to secure
- Repeat for the other side and fill the bins with LEGO’s
- Category: Craft/Activity