Warm fresh apples cooking slowly while smothered in sugar and cinnamon sounds to good to be true. Heavenly is the best word to describe the aroma that will engulf your home when making this Crockpot Apple Pie Oatmeal!
Smells have a powerful way of bringing us back to wonderful memories of childhood. I’m imagining walking into my home following a long tiring day at school to the delectable smell of pot roast with carrots in the crock pot. Now I’m starting to think about yummy banana muffins being baked in the morning, but of course the best smell of all has to be chocolate chip cookies, hands down. The second best smell to perfume my home while cooking has to be apples cooking with cinnamon, like this Crockpot Apple Pie Oatmeal.
The other day when Maxwell walked in the front door after preschool he got a huge whiff of this delicious oatmeal. His curiosity led him to the kitchen so he could see what the “yummy” smell was. I’m all about making foods that smell amazing, continuing to associate happy memories with them for my little ones. We devoured the oatmeal and for a fun activity we stamped apples on to paper using paper rolls and paint. It was a relaxing time in my home, kids were in good spirits and tummies were full on this chilly fall afternoon.
If you are looking for an easy delicious oatmeal recipe this fall or just a new way to use all those yummy fresh picked apples look no further. The fragrance in your home alone will put a smile on your face.
- 6 medium apples peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces (recommending Honey Crisp or other tart apples)
- 3/4 to 1 cup of brown sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/1/2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray crockpot with canola cooking spray
- In large bowl add apple chunks, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice and mix
- Add oats to the apples and mix again
- Pour mixture into the crockpot
- In bowl whisk milk and eggs together
- Then add water and vanilla and whisk again
- Pour mixture over the apples and oats
- Place lid on crockpot and cook on high for 3 hours and low for 6 hours
- Serve warm
- Optional: serve with fresh whipped cream on top 🙂
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Category: Breakfast