I grew up with two extremely opposite parents when it came to eating habits. My mom never liked us eating sugar or fast food, my dad on the other hand would sneak my brother and I to Mc Donald’s every morning if we asked. I remember each year on my birthday as a very young child feeling overwhelmed with joy when my mom took me to the grocery store and let me pick out any cereal I wanted. This was the only time I was allowed to buy the sugary stuff and usually picked out the Barbie cereal with little marshmallows in it. In these moments when I was indulging in sugary cereal it felt so exciting and special. As an adult I am extremely grateful to have experienced both options, eating healthy and indulging in the bad stuff. I have made my own personal choice not to eat the “crap” foods and do not feel that I’m missing out one bit.
This sandwich is my version of a fun breakfast that feels special with out all the extra bad ingredients. Kids and adults love it, if you want it to feel even more special wrap the sandwiches in paper and throw them in a bag. Then have the kids pretend they are picking them up at the drive through window (aka your kitchen counter.) Each individual sandwich takes less that five minutes to make, I used frozen tots to make an extra quick side. This breakfast will take you the same or less time to prepare as if you had drove to the drive through and back home again, not to mention without all the guilt. You can easily customize any of the toppings to your liking.
P.S. The tablespoon of water you add to the egg is an important step to not skip. When you cover the pan with the lid and let it cook that water will aid in adding steam, helping keep that egg nice and fluffy.Print
- English muffins
- Sliced deli ham
- Cheddar or American cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Small non stick sauce pan with lid
- In small bowl whisk 1 egg with salt pepper and 1 tablespoon of water (Important don’t skip)
- Preheat saucepan with 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of butter (entire bottom coated)
- Toast the english muffin
- Pour egg mixture into the heated sauce pan with melted butter and top immediately with lid
- Allow to cook on low/medium heat for 1-2 minutes
- Fold egg in half and in half again and transfer to english muffin and top with sliced ham and cheese
- Serve immediately
- Category: Breakfast