This Easy Sausage Cheese and Egg Casserole is a classic and simple recipe you’re going to make over and over again.
Currently Mommin like a boss this week, except for the fact that I broke my toe. This is my second toe breaking and unfortunately I broke the same exact toe eight years ago. I’m less emotional than I was the first time it broke, this time I immediately started icing, resting when possible and taped the toe, among other home remedies. Even with the little one’s making me hobble all day chasing them around, I mustered up the energy to make this Easy Sausage Cheese and Egg Casserole. This breakfast casserole is a scrumptious, simple and savory dish to please a crowd.
Secret Ingredient for the best Egg Casserole
I have one secret ingredient that I use in this casserole, Whole Foods Bakery slider buns. Soft, airy, and buttery, it doesn’t get better than that. Then you have bites of warm sausage, with a perfect amount of cheese and egg in each bite.
Simple and tasty are two combinations for the perfect breakfast, especially for those of us currently surviving this parenting thing or just if the bussyness of life has taken over.
As I’m typing this my children are behind me vacuuming the entire house. Yes, even the one year old with her Dyson Toy Vacuum that actually collects dog hair! Having a broken toe isn’t stopping me, I’m making delicious meals and all while having the kids help clean up. I’m currently feeling like “I GOT THIS!”, well, for the next few minutes at least. Then moments from now I’m sure someone will touch someone and the sibling rivalry will have me feeling defeated all over again, I’ll then hobble over to diffuse the situation with this useless toe.
But for now…
Even better, this Easy Sausage Cheese and Egg Casserole is a make ahead breakfast
First, assemble everything for this Easy Sausage Cheese and Egg Casserole the evening before and refrigerate overnight. As soon as you wake up remove the casserole from the fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for fifteen minutes (while you make some delicious coffee). Then, in the oven goes the casserole to bake, while you sit down to enjoy that hot cup of coffee. The casserole will begin to perfume the air with a heavenly and delicious aroma, while your relaxing or possibly chasing your rambunctious children (like myself 😉 ).Print
- 1 lb mild pork sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups of whole milk plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 day old slider buns(or other bread of choice)
- Fresh chopped parsley to garnish
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and set aside
- Crumbled and cook the sausage, drain and set aside to cool
- Slice rolls or bread into 1 inch pieces and layer evenly into your greased baking dish
- In a large bowl, mix with a fork or whisk the eggs, milk, ground mustard, salt and pepper (optional: cayenne pepper)
- Sprinkle cheese, cooled sausage over the bread and last pour over the egg mixture
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or preferably overnight
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until egg is cooked through in center of dish
- Garish before serving with freshly chopped parsley
- Special note: I personally make this and freeze half, that way later in the week when I’m baking my kids tater tots in the oven I place presliced frozen casserole along side, heat until warmed through
- Before freezing cut the casserole into slices, line large freezer safe Tupperware or glass container with parchment paper and space the casserole slices out, then another parchment paper over those and so on and so forth.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Breakfast
Other Delicious Recipes to Try
We’re breaking down this NEW Trader Joe’s Blueberry Muffin Mix. Below you’ll find our honest review and the slight modifications […]
Trader Joe’s Jumbo Cinnamon Rolls are something special. Swirls of cinnamon, rich frosting and exceptional flavor come together to produce […]
You might be thinking… With a million different ways to make scrambles eggs on the internet why make this recipe? […]
Below we are sharing our love for Trader joe’s hash browns. Find out why you should buy these for yourself […]
This Breakfast Tacos Recipe is keto, low carb, gluten free and flavorful! Cauliflower Taco Shells have become a staple in […]
How to achieve the perfect soft, medium and hard boiled eggs in the instant pot. With a million different methods […]
Keto Bagels are a delicious breakfast, lunch or snack. Each bagel has about 1.75 net carbs and 160 calories. Our […]
Have you ever wondered, is a banana a berry? Recently, while reading an article referring to a banana as a […]
Looking for a smoothie that’s healthy and sweet? Then look no further than this HEALTHY PINA COLADA SMOOTHIE! Why you’ll […]
Look no further for the ultimate cereal dispenser… The Whisking Kiddos are over the moon excited for their new cereal […]
In loving memory of Patryk Alexander his favorite recipe Apple Cinnamon Muffins Early one morning, my son Patryk Alexander abruptly […]