Dear Winter, I cant wait for you to be over! In the mean time I’m going to eat as much of my favorite soup as I possibly can. I’ve said it before, soup is like a Chicagoans anti depressant. I am recommending that after the recent snow storms we all up our dosage to the maximum amount. At least until spring time, when I will still be making this delectable soup frequently. This has to be one of my favorite things to eat when it is cold outside. So filling and hearty packed with tons of flavor.
Crisp up that bacon and start the base for this soup right in the oil drippings. This gives the broth so much intense flavor while keeping it thin and light allowing you to really taste each component in the soup. One spoon full and your mouth will taste that rich cream broth, small bites of potato, crispy bacon, cheesy goodness and a slight crunch from the green onion. This loaded potato soup has knocked out all other competitors in my book. I have yet to taste or make another potato soup that I love more. Plain and simple, your going to love it!
- My secret weapon aiding in great broth taste Trader Joe’s Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce, so much flavor and not to much heat.
- Another tip, I always buy Trader Joe’s Uncured Apple Smoked Bacon cutting out all extra fatty parts and crisping up small pieces.
- 6–8 strips of Trader Joe’s Apple Smoked Bacon (or favorite bacon of choice)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 32 ounce container of chicken stock
- 4–5 medium sized potatoes of choice (golden Yukon, red, russet, etc.) or if you prefer 3 large baked potatoes
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon trader Joe’s Jalapeno Pepper hot sauce or hot sauce of choice
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onion
- Peel and dice potatoes into small bite sized pieces (omit if using baked potatoes)
- Add potatoes to large stock pot and add cold water about one inch over potatoes, salt water
- Bring potatoes to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes, just until fork tender
- Cut bacon into small pieces and cutting out excess fat
- Crisp bacon in large stock pot
- Remove bacon from pan
- Cook chopped onion and minced garlic right in the bacon drippings until tender
- Stir in cornstarch, basil, salt, pepper
- Slowly add the chicken stock
- Bring to boil and cook for two minutes
- Add cooked potatoes, half and half and hot pepper sauce heating through but do not boil
- Pour desired amount of soup into a bowl and top with cheddar cheese, bacon and green onion
- Serve immediately with extra hot sauce if desired and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Main Dish