Time to plan yourself a date night in and make this Lovely Spaghetti Carbonara! Below I’m sharing tips to ensure a luscious and creamy sauce every time.
How to make the best Spaghetti Carbonara
In this version of spaghetti carbonara I’m using both bacon and pancetta to aid in a unique burst of flavor and texture. You may of course use only bacon, only pancetta or the perfect combination of both, what ever your heart desires. I also opted for two cheeses, parmesan and ramano, to enhance the dish with a burst of tang to each bite. Just my opinion, but the leftover spaghetti carbonara makes for the perfect guilty pleasure breakfast. Bacon, eggs and cheese at its finest!
Tips for making Spaghetti Carbonara
Tempering your eggs is the most important step in achieving a creamy carbonara sauce. Tempering an egg is simply taking the hot pasta water and adding just a little bit at a time while whisking continuously. This allows the temperature of the egg to warm with out scrambling the egg when added to the hot pan.
You absolutely do not have to go out to enjoy a beautiful meal. This delicious carbonara recipe is a wonderful change from the usual date night dinner, spaghetti with marinara sauce. This lovely pasta, a glass of wine and maybe a quick stop at the bakery for a chocolaty dessert is the combination of love. Every time I make this pasta I think back to the first time that I made it, sitting on the couch in my first apartment devouring each bite. This was definitely love at first bite 🙂
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 4 ounces pancetta diced small
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4–1 cup freshly grated Parmesan Romano cheese blend, plus more for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2– 3/4 cup reserved pasta water
- Whisk the eggs and yolks in small bowl and set aside
- Boil water in large stock pot adding salt
- Cook spaghetti according to package till al dente or desired texture
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water
- In large pan cook bacon until crispy, set aside to cool before chopping
- Remove bacon dripping and cook the panchetta until crispy
- Turn the heat off the pan and immediately add pasta to pan with pancetta and bacon
- SPECIAL NOTE: Temper the egg mixture. Whisk a little pasta water to the eggs before adding into pan this helps so they do not scramble!
- Add eggs, mixing quickly (the hot pan should be enough to slightly cook the eggs while keeping them creamy)
- Add 3/4-1 cup of cheese to the hot pan and mix
- Add additional pasta water to desired consistency
- Add generous amounts of salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Serve immediately and top with extra grated parmesan ramano cheese
- Category: Main Dish
Other Delicious Recipes to try