Skip the kids usual mac and cheese this week! Orzo with Parmesan and Peas is a quick and delicious side dish the entire family will enjoy.
Modification for this orzo recipe is easy peasy, simply use your preferred veggie of choice or proteins. Of course you may omit all veggies and simply serve the orzo with cheese (for those super picky eaters). Truly scrumptious little pieces of warm pasta, cheese and peas in each bite.
Elevate your typical week night pasta with Orzo with parmesan and peas.
So, I’m officially declaring this orzo dish the adult version of mac and cheese. Orzo with parmesan and peas is a side that satisfies many pallets. Personally, any time that my children indulge in vegetables it feels like a victory. The little peas in each bite add a pop of texture and extra layer of flavor. Typically, peas are a veggie either loved or tolerated by most kiddos, but you may substitute for any preferred veggie.
Also, this delicious orzo pairs beautifully with a multitude of main dishes. Below is my two favorite pork recipes to serve this orzo with- (The Best Crock Pot Pork Tenderloin and Grilled pork chops). Orzo with parmesan and peas may become your new favorite side that the entire family will love.
How To Cook Orzo
There are many methods for cooking orzo that you’ll find while searching the internet. My two favorite methods to cook the pasta are by using either the stove top or the Instant Pot. Another little tip, give the orzo a rich layer of flavor by cooking with chicken stock verses water. Just make sure to toast the orzo for about a minutes prior to adding you liquid. This quick additional step gives the orzo a layer of toasted flavor adding to the deliciousness.Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic pressed or minced
- 16 ounce package of orzo
- 1 32 ounce container chicken stock
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups thawed frozen peas
- 3/4–1 cup grated parmesan or parmesan romano blend cheese
- Melt butter and olive oil over medium heat in medium pot
- Add onions and stir continuously cooking till softened about 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic and orzo stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes
- Pour in chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste
- Cook uncovered stirring often and cook until all the liquid has absorbed into the pasta
- Add peas and parmesan and mix until incorporated
- Heat until parmesan is melted and peas are heated through
- At this point test to see if more salt or pepper is needed
- Serve immediately
- Category: Side Dish
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 811.8mg
- Fat: 13.4g
- Carbohydrates: 23.3g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Cholesterol: 21.9mg